filie

Gmach Główny przy ul. Jagiellońskiej 56 – siedziba główna Muzeum Okręgowego w Nowym Sączu od 26 kwietnia 2018 r.

The beginnings of museums in Nowy Sącz were the 80s and 90s of the 19th century, when the commemoration of the past began to be collected. In 1896, Józef Wieniawa-Zubrzycki dedicated his house on Jagiellońska street 35 to the municipal library and museum. However, the museums have never been submitted and displayed there. Collections were shown occasionally in different places, eg in the town hall in Nowy Sącz. Although further resolutions were adopted in 1909 and 1910 on the creation of the museum, it was only after the end of World War I that this idea was returned. After regaining independence, work was started on the reconstruction of the castle in Nowy Sącz and it was possible to include both the library and the museum. Finally, the museum collections were made available August 12, 1938. However, already in the following year, in the face of the German occupation, some of the most valuable objects were again in private hands to secure and hide. In January 1945, the explosion of ammunition squad turned ruined castle with other museums. After the war, in 1946, the Museum was reactivated and the collection was started in two of the monastic rooms on Pijarska Street. Only some of the pre-war exhibits have been recovered. Relatively modest museum collections increased significantly in 1951, when the monuments of the Orthodox art came from Nowy Sącz, originating in the West Lemkos region. In order to store and display them together with earlier collections, they were assigned to the „Gothic House” museum on  Lvivska Street 3, which was renovated in 1959-1965.  Temporary exhibitions were held at three premises rented from the Municipal Waterworks. Since 1975, when the Nowosądeckie Voivodship was created, the institution has been functioning and functioning today as the Regional Museum in Nowy Sacz. 1975 is also the date of the opening of a new open-air museum branch – Sądecki Ethnographic Park. In 1976., After the death of the artist Marii Ritter, Nowy Sacz museum acquired a collection of her paintings. There was also a proposal to organize a permanent gallery of these works in two family rooms of the Ritter house, designed for this purpose by sister Maria, Wanda.

The idea was realized in 1979, after the death of Wanda Ritter.

In 1981 another branch was opened in Podegrodzie – Museum Lachów Sadeckich of Zofia and Stanislaw Chrzastostoskich, in 1982 Museum Pienienskie of Józef Szalaya in Szczawnica (in August 2014 was transferred to the former border Guard in Szlachtowa) and Gallery Dawna Synagoga in Nowy Sacz (until the end of July 2015 in structure if the museum). In 1987, a branch of the Center of Folk Construction in Szymbark with branch of the Orthodox Church in Bartno was added. In the years 1990-1991 an exposition of the old bourgeois interiors was organized in two further rooms of „Ritterówka„. Since 1995, the Nikifor Museum in Krynica Zdroj has been dedicated to the work of one of the world’s foremost primitive painters. In 1999, after the liquidation of the Nowy Sącz province, the Regional Museum in Nowy Sącz was granted the status of the Małopolska Region Culture Institution. The local government of the Malopolska Region decided in 2001 that the Castle in Wiśnicz would be another branch of the District Museum in Nowy Sącz (in the structure of the unit until September 2009). In 2006, a branch in Szymbark together with a branch in Bartno was incorporated into the newly created Gorlic Museum under the name “Mansion of Karwacjans and Gładyszys”. Still it is expanding the nowosądecki museum, which presents equipped buildings of Lachs, highlanders from Nowy Sacz, Pogórzans, Lemkos, Germans and Gypsies, a gentry court, a folk school, rural industry facilities, chapels and crosses; the churches of the three faiths, Roman Catholic, Greek Catholic and Evangelical-Augsburg, are also functioning. Thanks to the EU funds and the Malopolska Region, the German and Galician towns were created. They are a replica of the late 19th-century building, with the town hall, the noble manor house, the burgher houses, the tavern, the fire brigade and two chapels: St. Florian and St. John Nepomucen. In the museum town and open-air museum develops workshops, educational and scientific activities. There are ethnographic and folklore events, fairs and shows in the open air, and in the conference hall of the town hall – meetings and symposia. The Specialist Library operates with a rich collection of „spiskie” (Polish and Slovak) books and periodicals of Polish history, theories and history of art, culture, archeology, museums and monuments protection, in one of the manor houses there are collections of museum archives. Construction of the rural industry sector is underway in Sadecki Ethnogaphic Park.